Monday, December 18, 2006

The Finality

Made our way to the hospital Sunday morning, and met Steve and Sarah outside. They already had the news to share, the result of the neurological tests. The first words out of his mouth, that hit me in the gut, but there was no easy way to get it out - "They're pulling the plug on him tonight."
The tests showed no brain activity, the response to reflex and pupil tests was nil, and they determined his brain was deprived of oxygen for too long to reverse the damage. No hope of recovery - highly unlikely he would ever regain consciousness, much less cognizant function or motor skills. The family made the decision to unhook life support and let nature take its course. If the heart stopped within a half hour, dozens of his organs could help other people.
We went in to see him (meeting the stepsisters on the way in), extremely tough, him lying there still hooked up to machines (oddly, looking more at peace than the day before), and the reality and finality of it hit Bonnie pretty hard. She had some words to say. The only things I could come up with to say were, "Goodbye" and, "Thank you for being in my life." I touched his hand, his skin was warm. I noticed things I wished I hadn't, things I don't want to be part of my last memory of his appearance. Allow me to indulge in my journal here, please skip ahead if this is too disturbing... His growth of stubble, and realizing he hadn't shaved in 3 days and would not. The way his lips accepted the intubation tube, the tightness of the securing rubber straps against his cheeks. Scrapes on his face and knuckles that won't heal. The look of his face, and thinking, "Is it swollen?". I've never seen him sleeping, other than the times he's passed out on a couch - is this the way he looks when he's asleep? The shape of the face, to me, only seemed correct from the angle where I was standing right next to him. I took one last look at his face, and began walking from the room. I looked back, and his face didn't look right to me, so I had to return to his bedside, take a final portrait photograph in my mind, and I could not look back when I left the room for that final time.
Again, the next chunk of time is a blur. M coming out to tell us they'd disconnect life support on Monday afternoon (this timeline changed much the next few hours); John and Neal and Trisha showing up; Heather showing up in tears; Mark M returning; almost missing Leslie and Tulah because we took a break down in the Cafe; M talking in distant terms about funeral arrangements, and what to do with his 'stuff'; how the news would spread at work. Rex's Dad going to pick his brother Larry from the airport. And phone calls. Lots and lots of phone calls. Who did I miss? Who would want to know? Who would want to visit in the few hours still available? Maybe I missed some people whom I should have called that afternoon, I apologize. Many people found it hard to believe, a few were intensely weeping. This is the first time I've ever had to deal with anything like this, so little you know, so little you can control.
Back to the rest of the day, Bonnie (my fantasitcally supportive and helpful partner!) and I split and went home in the afternoon. Gilx called and said he and Vicki had gone, no other visitors at the time, and the reality of it hit them hard. More hanging out at home, called M and Steve Leyba a few times, they had a full house and were thankful of the the surroundings. I was on the way to a show at Yoshi's, but I decided it was way more important to be around friends of Rex. Met his brother Larry, who was handling it rough. He related a story that Rex had bought a huge gift for his two-year-old niece, it had just arrived 3 days earlier. Very nice guy, I can notice a lot of similarities in the mannerisms and appearnace with his younger brother. Bid goodnight to the family, and headed home.
I realized I hadn't called Matt and Ann, they were people that should know before the big email send. They showed up on our doorstep 10 minutes after that phone message. Matt said they had already sent a mail - respectful enough, and there's no easy way to announce news like this, but hard to think that's the first thing people will read on Monday morning. Bonnie and I offered to host the ceremony, Rev. Leyba to preside over it, but we'll see how it works out, if we can take the whole capacity of Tippett Studio. Friends of Rex, please mail or call me, we'll put a memories board together.
Sucks. Unbelievably.
We'll miss you, Rex. Incredibly.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

i just got the sad news from Forest. I can't believe this happened and since i didn't get the full account of the accident i am very grateful for your posting. It's tuesday morning here in Germany and since i heard the news yesterday i can't stop thinking about Rex. I started digging through my 'work' boxes trying to find a crew picture with him in it. I found the "hollowman" crew picture, but for some reason he couldn't make it for the photo. ( unless he started later at Tippett ).
I only knew Rex from work and the occasional work party. But even from those brief moments when he and i talked or hung out i remember Rex as always friendly, genuine, honest and fun to be with. He was always there for you and i don't remember him complain once. You could always count on Rex.
It's hard to really understand the situation as everyone of us has had countless near-misses ourselves, but nothing ever had fatal results.
I want to send my condolences to
his family and close friends and hope that we all find a way to always remember Rex. I will dig deeper in my photo boxes to hopefully find some more crew-pictures and party pics of him.

I will miss him.

Frank P.

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend sent me the Tippett email and pointed me to your blog, Jeff. I can't believe we've lost such a charismatic member of the Tippett Family.

The last time I saw him, he was walking that bemused walk of his towards 10th Street, saying "hi" to everyone on his way, including me. His smile was sweet and full of promise.

Yes, we'll all miss you, Rex.

11:29 AM  
Blogger SF Larges said...

Thank you, Jeff, for writing about Rex in this beautiful and real and intimate way.

What a terrible and sad thing to have lost someone so kind and talented as Rex.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the news while I was away in LA working on a project. It didn't really sink in until I got back on Tuesday. It makes my heart sink everytime I think of him. Everyone please take care of yourselves and each other.


-Kirk L.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sit here with tears in my eyes and just an overall unbelievable feeling in my heart. I can remember when Rex and I were in roto together up in Bay 4 loft and then again when he was my boss in Roto....I can still hear his laugh and see his mannerisms as he talked about movies and books.

He always enjoyed to share with people anything that might make their lives a little better. I still have a book of his that he lent me when I was talking about textures and patterns of the earth. I felt bad that I hadn't returned it yet and now I feel grateful to have it.

I just can't believe it, I'm sorry. It's so unexpected. When you work with people for years they become like distant family and family while you are working together.

Rex was a really kind-hearted guy, that I will certainly miss. He always meant well and he was someone who you could get to know, because he was Rex and anyone you ask I'm sure has a clear picture of exactly who rex was.

My heart and wishes go out to you his closest friend and family, how sad this is.

Good-bye Rex, I'm sorry you are gone, but now you will live in our hearts and minds. I will not forget you.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home