Sunday, December 10, 2006

Most Hated Songs?

I'm a positive guy when it comes to accepting music (except when it comes to the real enemies of art - pop singers. I digress.), but I have a list of most-hated songs. You know those songs you simply have to get away from - if they come up on the radio you dive across the room to turn it off, if it comes up in mixed company you can't politely hold your tongue, if your friend admits to liking it, you may actually lose a tiny bit of respect for that person? Real audio popcorn under your gums, like bending your fingernails back but in your ears. I realize in many cases, this distaste is exacerbated by weasely DJs or other sycophant 'moguls' (I'm looking at you, KEXP's Kevin Cole) who heap the praise on these cultural warts. These are in my opinion, and perhaps only a few others, because these are wildly and undeservedly popular songs.

1) "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" - The Proclaimers. First of all, it's the height of pretentiousness to have parenthesis in a title unless it completes a phrase or is funny. This one ain't funny. The video makes this even more evil, those guys are so weird looking when they dance around. Chicks buy into this crap?
2) "Hey What's Going On?" 4 Non-Blondes. Again, the video amps up the hate factor. That singer tries too hard to look freaky - like a poser goth. And that hat looks like Seuss puke. As an aside, I'm embarrassed to admit I sometimes confuse them with Concrete Blonde.
3) "Zombie" - The Cranberries. Eeee. Eeee. Eeee. Eeee. Eeee. Eeee.
4) "The Boys are Back in Town" - Thin Lizzy OK, hate is too strong a word, but it's highly irritating to me, though it's impolite to speak ill of the dead, and I generally respect Phil Lynott
5) "Chicago" - Sufjan Stevens. The false-idol darling of indie radio, and I listen to a lot of indie radio. This song in particular is a lightning rod, but his whole style rubs me the wrong way. He's got all the ingredients I should like - multi-instrumentalist, lush arrangements, he's from Michigan! - but it all seems so disingenuous, like ersatz cherry flavoring (not classic Traverse City cherries, yum!).
Well, that' all I can think of for now. Maybe more later. Send me your own list! My best of 2006 coming up soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home