Friday, February 02, 2007

One more for Rex

Last week, Tippett Studio hosted a memorial for Rex Markle, providing co-workers a chance to honor him, where he had worked for 6 years and been the Roto/Paint department head for 4. As some know, a place like that can feel like family in many ways. It was a fine ceremony - there was a hired minister who led the proceedings, and she did a remarkable job, taking stories from John and friends and creating a very real and honest portrait. There was a slideshow of personal pics put together by M and editorial, and excerpts from an internal blog, quotes from co-workers on their reaction to the loss. They played the songs, "Gimme Shelter" (the Sisters of Mercy version), and Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan". Jules commemmorated the new editing suite the 'Rex Room', with a stunning plaque carved by Blair Clark. Larry, his brother, and Tom, his father, had gotten a tour of the Studio, along with a viewing of Rex's demo reel, and donated to the Studio a fantastic impressionist portrait done by a family friend. Phil and Craig started the comments by talking about how impressed they were by Rex's general love of filmmaking, and comiserating over the promulgation of talking animal movies vs. killer robot movies. Several people spoke, many getting choked up again. I related a couple stories - about how, when Rex started, he had taken over my roto shots for Mission to Mars, and that he never forgave me for that; and how he chastised my gig at ILM/working for George Lucas, and that even though I wasn't working at Tippett where he said I belonged, that he would still be a good friend. And he was indeed one of my closest friends in my time here in California. He touched many with his easy way, his wicked smart humor, his range of art and talent, is very missed by very many.

Later Bonnie and I went up to visit Rex's old desk, which had been converted into a shrine of sorts (reminded me of a voodoo altar, in a good way), by Tom G and his crew. Strange, but wonderful, to see pieces of his life laid out like that, a few things I had given him. Larry took some of the items to return home with.

It was also a good opportunity for me to catch up with folks I haven't seen in a long while. Sorry I didn't get to everyone I saw!

Thanks much to Phil and Jules, and all involved, for putting this together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home