Thursday, October 20, 2005

Mid-October, racing to the end

Week of 17 Oct to 23 Oct

Bit of interesting change of pace - been getting into thick of 'Kong New York" sequence, so I'm experiencing a different team (Mike Perry is sequence supe) & methods & tools. I'm also realizing how short my time is here, only have 3 more Saturdays!

Monday 17th - Had a really spectacular treat, historian Bob Burns came out to Wellington, with the original King Kong armature! We got to hold it, move it, get pictures of it, and hear some of Bob's great stories of the old-school artistes of early VFX animation. Here's my pic . For those not in the know, this was the exact steel skeletal frame that was dressed with rubber, rabbit fur, glass eyes, and paint (the mouth was still pink) and posed frame-by-frame under the supervision of Willis O'Brien for the original King Kong movie. Truly a great moment, and a fun reminder of how cool my job is sometimes!

Tuesday 18th - Joanna Newsom played at Indigo on Cuba. Funny to think she plays in my hood all the time in the Bay Area, but the first time I've seen her play is all the way on the other side of the world. Really fun show, the calmest one I've ever been to at Indigo (including Phoenix Foundation), hard to imagine one woman with a harp holding the rapt attention of 150 drinking patrons, but it happened.

Wednesday - Had a chiro appt, probably be my last one. The usual mid-week dinner group, went to old standby Monsoon Poon, good group - Briana showed up after dinner, great to see her again. Dinner was a fine time, then headed to Motel. I rode my bike instead of cabbing, think I got home around 2.

Thursday - Nothing going on this night, got caught up on hours at work. Friday the same, but Saturday eve was 'Demeter's Dark Ride' .Very fun haunted-house type tour, with surrealist moments and goth aestetics. Met with Katie Hecker, George Oliver came out for it, Schnee even went into town. We hit Great India after the show, great food - ate so much I didn't feel like going onto Ben Morgan's party afterward, just went home.

Sunday - Work in the morning, then into town for the Diwali Festival - crazy amounts of people, music, lots of bread and sweets I never knew about it! 4 stages - Town Hall (dance), Illot (classical), Capital E (puppets), and the main stage at Civic Center. Karim even got pix there too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home