Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Week of 5 to 11 Sept

Yeesh, so much happening these weeks, I've gotten so behind on the blog. Visitors, and visiting, and working insanity. But, let me start with this week, the haps - my sister Rebecca was in town. Great to see she could get over here, her first international trip in a long long time. I remember when I was a kid, she went to Europe with her then-beau Les, I remember cos she brought me back a London Dungeon souvenir book, still have it somewheres. Anyway, she was in Tuesday, after phone tag, we met up for lunch ( Monsoon Poon), I worked the rest of the day while she rested up, then we went into town for Cinelounge. Wednesday she went driving up north, I worked a packed day, and flew up Thursday morning to meet her in Rotorua (drama with a missing parking stub!). Went to Te Puia - geysers and Maori Village, then we drove out, stopping in Taupo and Palmerston North for a bit (longer drive than I'd thought, didn't get in till evening). Had a bad sushi experience at Kazu (though they did have okonomiyaki!). Friday was Interislander wine country trip to Marlborough. Fabulous deal - round trip on ferry, guided tour (which happened to be a personal tour, we were the only 2 people on it), and visits to 4 wineries with 5-8 free tastings each - all for ~$75 US. Got a few bottles on the way.

Saturday was hanging around town - Te Papa, F69 ship; rugby @ Chicago's and Loaded Hog; Cuba St & Tattoo Museum; decided to catch 'Bewitched' at the new fancy Empire Cinema in Island Bay, then went to a Weta party, a few people's collective birthday celebration. Hell Pizza in Hataitai on the way back (kumara chips for Bec, yum). Sunday she was on the way out, but we decided to hit the Botanical Gardens, which was an adventure to figure out how to get in there! Spent too much time getting bad and hostile directions, only went to the greenhaus there...

Overall, fine time and good to see her out. Sunday after she left was a visit to Sandip's spectacular house atop the hills of Island Bay for his party, nice Sunday afternoon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i have reach 52 years and I have never had sushi, eatting rew fish just dosent set well with me. What is Okonmiyaki?
I'm an American poet who is trying to find out if my poetry can stand up across cultural lines and you can help me with this buying visiting my poetry site and letting me know what you think. Please feel free to jump around the site and leave a comment anywhere within
davidepatton.blogspot.com
I have a chap book that just came out and you can have it for free from
http://persistenciapress.tripod.com
persistencia_press@yahoo.com
Thank You
David

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home