Friday, December 05, 2008

Alice's Restaurant

We went down to Orange County to visit Bonnie's family over thanksgiving holiday. Nicole went as well, my sister came up from northern San Diego area, for thxgiving Day dinner. I'll post a more thorough journal of our journey, but I wanted to throw in a quick interjection. We caught Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" song on LA radio station The Sound. (It fit well into the trip from the airport to Bonnie's mom's.) Anyway, I was delighted to catch it on the radio once again, and realized it's a Thanksgiving Day staple experience (like "War of the Worlds" on Halloween, or "A Christmas Story" on Xmas Day, or the NYE Ball countdown). And I was delighted to share the experience with Bonnie - she had never heard it, or heard of it (or knew that Arlo was Woody's son)!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has holiday staple music/movie/media traditions they live by... And will 'Shrek the Halls' become one of them ;P ??
PS - I really enjoyed The Sound, we had it on most of the time we were there - nice diversity of mellow; some lesser-heard songs; and it didn't make me violently lunge for the radio dial. One of the best commercial stations I've listened to since 'The River' in Detroit (years ago - not so much now. I once heard - David Sylvian! if you can believe it)

3 Comments:

Blogger Shane MacRhodes said...

I love Alice's Restaurant- it has been my Thanksgiving tradition for about 10 years!
A Christmas Story viewing happens every once and awhile with my family too. We also have the tradition of going to the movies on Christmas day which we have done for about 20 some years and now it is more popular than ever. There used to be only a few folks when we went but now it seems it has become a lot of peoples tradition.

11:29 AM  
Blogger pegasusgiraffe said...

Yeah - I almost always go catch a movie on Xmas Day! They usually release some prestige film for Oscar consideration, like "Benjamin Button" this year. Tho "The Spirit" opens that day too...

6:24 PM  
Blogger pegasusgiraffe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home