Friday, February 01, 2008

Bonnie in Newsweek

Kinda late for this post, I sent email to a large list of acquaintances, but now I'm posting here. My partner Bonnie had an essay published in the Newsweek 'My Turn' section - It's her view on institutional marriage at odds with the personal nature of love, as defined in societal and familial contexts.

I'm very proud & excited about it - well, I knew that when she got the news it had been picked up, and again when we went with the photographer, but it's different to see it for real on the printed page. Very thoughtful, and deep, and boldly personal. And, very controversial, apparently, and it's sparked a lot of discussion - between us, between Bonnie & my family, and from a whole host of the general public who have lashed out with vitriol and defensiveness. I won't go into the meat of their beef, but a lot of people get very defensive when you say something like, "I'm choosing to not follow tradition."
http://www.newsweek.com/id/8453

It's been popping up a lot of other places, too. There was also a mention of it in a Salon blog, which also sparked a lot of commentary - this batch most still disagreeing, but much more thoughtful. Out family in North Carolina said they heard a preacher on the radio go on, talking about the article for almost 15 minutes. So, we did a search, and there's a lot of people blogging about it (probably the venomous types who left their angry comments).

Anyway, hope those of you who haven't read it, please do, and share your thoughts.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

Rock on, Bonnie :)
Can't wait til your celebration!!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home