Saturday, June 18, 2005

Week of June 13 to 19

Week of June 13 to 19

Slow week, post-trailer, pre-moving ahead with anything. Made headway into training & learning. Already being contacted by recruiters. Got insurance set up. Got back into sport this week, played touch rugby on a rather grim and overcast day (muddy field too), that was fun despite playing in my Doc Marten steel toes. Thurs was basketball, great turnout, 3-on-3 plus 4-on-4. Hope that'll continue. Thursday night went to Batman Begins at the Embassy Theatre. Owned by PJ, that's where we had the Two Towers wrap party ( where my band played, dude). It's been renovated in a big way, great looking inside with leather seats, and loud as hell. Friday was monthlies, we got to see the trailer, it'll hit the world with War of the Worlds, I must refrain til then. I can say people did amazing work in a really short time. Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D came out last week, haven't talked to anyone who's seen it, don't even know if I got a credit, doubt it, and it's understandable 911 projects like that, small sequences, don't get a lot of screen names up there.

Saturday - more tasks to take care of today, it seems like all I'm doing is bits of business and getting things into operation. And I haven't even spent much time working with studio stuff yet. Hopefully it'll all fall into place. Chased Magnum Mac down about refund. Again. (they are notorious for the worst service in town, have to put another negative review up on the recommendations page at work). Bought new shoes, not cleats ("boots") like I should have, but another pair to knock around in, don't care if they get filthy). Shopped for a bike, got one for NZ$140, thought it was a great deal til I saw later the same one new is available for NZ$150. Then had to stop to get accessories - lock, helmet (it's the law around here). Home, unloaded, then out again to sporting goods store (drove this time). They didn't have barbells. Like the kind you go into The Sports Authority or whatever, they have a whole shellmound of them right inside the front door, you trip over them coming in, they only had girlie tiny ones (in pastels no less) and elaborate free weights. Went to The Warehouse , hated going to cheap megastore, but what can you do? Maybe go to bigger sporting goods tomorrow. Just wanted to get it done. At least I got my bike delivered, can start using that for commute.

Sunday - Morning 10 AM, went to see Star Wars once again (projector was super dark), at Embassy. Drove, and since I had my car in town, got some big items - a region-free DVD player, then went to Rebel Sports for to find weights. They had what I was looking for - a 9 kg rubber dumbell - but ridiculously expensive (NZ$60), so I got a single 10kg round weight. Headed back to down to Real Groovy and got tickets to The Phoenix Foundation show. Then shopping at New World supermarket in the city. Have to make a page of NZ culinary explorations, and some of my favorites and cultural differences. As in pizza - Sunday's my usual day to get take-away ('to go') and chill at home. Though that's probably not the best sched, cos on Sunday I have time to cook but not so much during the week. Anyway, got ) Pizza Hut . Bout the same, but Kiwis like chicken on their pizza more often than U.S. - chicken satay, apricot chicken, but forget about 'BBQ' or 'Cajun'. Hard to get good spicy food around here, except maybe at Indian or Thai. So, went home and set up with some videos (5 DVDs for a week for NZ$10), trying out the region-free. Yup, can play my Aqua Teen Hunger Force from the States, and the rental 'Chopper'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home