Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Opening

OK, here's my first post - there's a chronologue before this (been here since May 23), just haven't had my head in the right place to pull it together. Maybe do a backlog once I get into the flow. Anyway, here's the inaugural edition of my blog. A Detroit native, a California prodigal son, spending a few months at work in New Zealand. What brought me here? Well, obvious and primary answer is the job. It's something special in this business to work on a movie that is interesting work, will be enjoyed by a large audience, and perhaps garner some critical respect - King Kong will likely be such a movie. And to work on this on the heels of the legendary Star Wars trilogy is quite a succession - these 2 movies are early favorites to compete for next year's VFX Oscar. (More on industry hullaballo later, provided it doesn't conflict with my NDA). And a chance to return to NZ, and see some old friends - it all just clicked. The difficult decision was to leave the side of my love, Bonnie. We discussed many aspects, laid out a plan of communication, and are staying connected, but its nothing like being with her. Soon, though.

Never thought I'd have a blog, but this is for specific topic detailing (though in probably not a lot of detail) my stay in New Zealand, living, working, playing, balancing the cultural and logistic differences of this temp life and the real life. Stay tuned!

Here's a first collection of photos, my place that I'm staying at with its 50 stairs to get to my door, and bay view off the deck.

available on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81257829@N00/sets/494656/

Snapfish hasn't been working for folks, but the photos are here too :

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=23825787/t_=19509755